South Bay News
Preschool locked down as authorities search for suspect
CUPERTINO, Calif. -- A preschool in Cupertino remains locked down this afternoon as authorities go door-to-door searching for a suspect, a school official said.
As of 2 p.m., about 60 children remained behind locked doors in their classrooms. The lockdown started at about 11:45 a.m., school assistant director Stacey O'Toole said.
The students were napping this afternoon after having lunch in class, O'Toole said.
"To them, it's like a rainy day," O'Toole said. "They don't know that it's a lockdown. It's like any other day to them."
Sheriff's deputies told school officials that a suspect remains at large in the neighborhood and that deputies are conducting a house-to-house search for the person, O'Toole said.
The staff does not yet know why the suspect is being sought, O'Toole said.
"We know there is a suspect at large, we know there are helicopters, but we are in the dark ourselves," O'Toole said.
Santa Clara County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Jose Cardoza said the suspect is wanted for a crime that occurred in neighboring Sunnyvale, but he did not have additional details.
Doors to all of the classes and other rooms in the small school have been locked, O'Toole said.
The father of one student arrived at the school to wait for his child, but parents are not permitted anywhere inside the school during the lockdown, O'Toole said.
cupertino, crime, school lockdown, south bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 7 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 in SJ under investigation 11 min ago
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Cal housing vote; Candlestick soccer
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday