South Bay News
Preschool locked down as authorities search for suspect
CUPERTINO, Calif. -- A preschool in Cupertino remains locked down this afternoon as authorities go door-to-door searching for a suspect, a school official said.
As of 2 p.m., about 60 children remained behind locked doors in their classrooms. The lockdown started at about 11:45 a.m., school assistant director Stacey O'Toole said.
The students were napping this afternoon after having lunch in class, O'Toole said.
"To them, it's like a rainy day," O'Toole said. "They don't know that it's a lockdown. It's like any other day to them."
Sheriff's deputies told school officials that a suspect remains at large in the neighborhood and that deputies are conducting a house-to-house search for the person, O'Toole said.
The staff does not yet know why the suspect is being sought, O'Toole said.
"We know there is a suspect at large, we know there are helicopters, but we are in the dark ourselves," O'Toole said.
Santa Clara County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Jose Cardoza said the suspect is wanted for a crime that occurred in neighboring Sunnyvale, but he did not have additional details.
Doors to all of the classes and other rooms in the small school have been locked, O'Toole said.
The father of one student arrived at the school to wait for his child, but parents are not permitted anywhere inside the school during the lockdown, O'Toole said.
cupertino, crime, school lockdown, south bay news
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday