South Bay News
Shelter-in-place lifted at school in San Jose
SAN JOSE -- A lockdown order at a San Jose elementary school has been lifted this morning after police were searching for suspects with a gun, according to San Jose police.
Police responded to the 1700 block of Monrovia Drive for a report of suspects with a gun who had apparently jumped a fence and then fled.
Police tracked down a suspect vehicle and believe the suspects are holed up in a house near Sanders Elementary School at 3411 Rocky Mountain Drive, which prompted a lockdown at the school around 8:45 a.m.
At around 9:45 a.m., the lockdown was lifted at the school.
No injuries were reported in the incident, which police were still investigating as of 9:50 a.m.
Two other schools in the area, Ida Jew Academies at 1966 Flint Ave. and August Boeger Middle School at 1944 Flint Ave., were also briefly on lockdown this morning.
By 8:45 a.m., police had lifted that order as the police activity moved closer to Robert Sanders Elementary, said Lauri Breton, director of student services for the Mount Pleasant Elementary School District.
Police said the lockdowns were a precaution for the safety of the students and staff.
Breton said the school district was "being extra cautious."
san jose, south bay news
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree 34 min ago
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes 9 min ago
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk 6 min ago
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital 43 min ago
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on...
9 min ago