South Bay News
Arrest made in connection with Monte Sereno slaying
MONTE SERENO, Calif. (KGO) -- An arrest has been made in a high-profile Silicon Valley murder investigation. But police say they don't have the killer.
Raven Dixon, 22, appeared briefly in court Friday, charged with a felony and being an accessory in a homicide.
Police say they arrested Dixon Tuesday in connection with the November 30 slaying of a wealthy businessman at his sprawling Monte Sereno mansion.
Raveesh Kumra, known to many as Ravi, is the former owner of Mountain Winery. He was killed in what police originally described as a home invasion robbery.
They say Dixon's arrest should reassure the public. "We're saying this was not a random incident and there was some kind of relationship between the suspect and the victim," said Sgt. Stephen Walpole of the Los Gatos-Monte Sereno Police.
Court documents indicate Dixon was arrested after offering an undercover officer sexual services for $600 and cocaine for $50.
Documents also indicate that after her arrest, she admitted to being a sexual escort for six years.
Dixon's attorney called the arrest an ambush. "It's just an out of the blue charge and I think they might just want somebody to charge that homicide to," defense attorney John Ambrosio said.
"She's done everything in her ability to clear herself and she did everything she is supposed to do and I'm proud of her. We're trying to clear her," said Sandra Mitchell, Dixon's mother.
Police have released a sketch of the man they are still hoping to arrest in the case. They believe Dixon not only had an ongoing relationship with Kumra but also knew the person who killed him.
In court documents, prosecutors argued that Dixon was a prostitute with deep connections to drug operators and that they believe she had the ability to get her hands on laundered drug money and could flee the country. The judge has set her bail at $1 million.
Dixon's next court date is January 15.
monte sereno, crime, home invasion, south bay news, karina rusk
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery 6 min ago
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil' 19 min ago
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta 54 min ago
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case 33 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Officials investigating acid spill at...
6 min ago