South Bay News
Woman recovering after eating deadly mushrooms
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman is recovering at a Santa Cruz County hospital after eating death cap mushrooms.
Authorities say the woman ate six mushrooms on Friday night that she had picked near UC Santa Cruz.
She went to Dominican Hospital a day later, where she's now receiving treatment under a clinical trial of a European antidote for the potentially deadly mushrooms. This is the third local case involving the trial which won FDA approval in 2010.
In the past two years, five Californians have died and 18 suffered liver or kidney failure after eating death cap mushrooms.
FDA, santa cruz county, uc santa cruz, food, south bay news
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies 29 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos