South Bay News
A look at California's new laws for 2013
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- The New Year means hundreds of new laws take effect in California. They cover everything from your Facebook password to the new car you buy.
There's good news for users of social media. Starting Jan. 1, 2013, it will be illegal for employers and colleges to demand one's username and password. Yet despite this new law, tech analysts still recommend using common sense.
"It doesn't solve the issue that what you post online can haunt you literally for the rest of your life. So be careful with privacy settings and never post anything that would embarrass you in front of an employer, a college admissions officer or your grandmother," said tech analyst Larry Magid.
Also scheduled to take effect Jan. 1st are "Silver Alerts" for missing seniors who have dementia or Alzheimer's. It's an expansion of the AMBER Alert system currently used for missing children. Another law requires auto dealers that help finance car purchases to provide 30- day warranties for any vehicles they sell. And then there are the new requirements for party buses -- they hold the party bus driver responsible for underage drinking.
"The drivers now of buses, if they see or condone or ignore alcohol being consumed by minors on the bus, they will be subject to a misdemeanor similarly as limousine drivers are today," said St. Sen. Jerry Hill, D-Palo Alto.
One law that was supposed to take effect Jan. 1st is now tied up in federal court. The Legislature passed a bill banning a form of psychotherapy aimed at making gay teenagers straight. Supporters of the ban hope the issue will be resolved soon.
"By having gay reparative therapy that is available to people really does send out the message that being gay is not OK," said Sam Alazi, Bay Area Youth Summit
It will likely take months for that issue to be resolved. Under the current schedule, supporters and opponents of the ban have until mid-February to submit written briefs.
san jose, new year's eve, laws, facebook, south bay news, lilian kim
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire 8 min ago
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420" 27 min ago
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- Report: 1 dead in boat accident near Redwood City
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1 1 min ago
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run 51 min ago
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
10 min ago
- Video shows burglar prowling in baby's room
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos