South Bay News
Woman arrested over fake check ring at supermarket
SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. -- An Oakland woman has been arrested for allegedly trying to pass a fraudulent $100 check and two accomplishes believed part of a fake check ring are still at large, a Scotts Valley police spokesman said.
Police arrested Alexis Slaten, 34, at about 2:20 p.m. Wednesday after employees at a Safeway store determined that a $100 bank check she wrote to buy gift cards and groceries was phony, police Lt. John Wilson said.
"One cashier looked at it and thought it was suspicious," Wilson said. "When we got there they found out it was not real."
Store employees, who delayed Slaten at the store so that police could arrive, went through the store's tills and found two other fake $100 checks passed by other suspects, Wilson said.
"They cashed the other two," Wilson said.
Police believe that the missing suspects in the alleged ring, Retascha Harrison, 28, and Lawrence Stone, 33, both of Oakland, passed the bogus checks at the market between about 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. that day, Wilson said.
Managers of the store, at 253 Mt. Hermon Road, viewed surveillance video that allegedly showed Harrison passing one of the checks, Wilson said.
The ring members likely fashioned the checks using a computer, software and a printer, Wilson said.
"You can print out business cards, you can print out checks," Wilson said.
"They basically made a fake check from routing numbers and the banks say there is no account on file," Wilson said.
Slaten was booked into the Santa Cruz County Jail on suspicion of forgery and passing a fictitious check and her bail was set at $50,000, Wilson said.
south bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...