South Bay News
Woman arrested over fake check ring at supermarket
SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. -- An Oakland woman has been arrested for allegedly trying to pass a fraudulent $100 check and two accomplishes believed part of a fake check ring are still at large, a Scotts Valley police spokesman said.
Police arrested Alexis Slaten, 34, at about 2:20 p.m. Wednesday after employees at a Safeway store determined that a $100 bank check she wrote to buy gift cards and groceries was phony, police Lt. John Wilson said.
"One cashier looked at it and thought it was suspicious," Wilson said. "When we got there they found out it was not real."
Store employees, who delayed Slaten at the store so that police could arrive, went through the store's tills and found two other fake $100 checks passed by other suspects, Wilson said.
"They cashed the other two," Wilson said.
Police believe that the missing suspects in the alleged ring, Retascha Harrison, 28, and Lawrence Stone, 33, both of Oakland, passed the bogus checks at the market between about 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. that day, Wilson said.
Managers of the store, at 253 Mt. Hermon Road, viewed surveillance video that allegedly showed Harrison passing one of the checks, Wilson said.
The ring members likely fashioned the checks using a computer, software and a printer, Wilson said.
"You can print out business cards, you can print out checks," Wilson said.
"They basically made a fake check from routing numbers and the banks say there is no account on file," Wilson said.
Slaten was booked into the Santa Cruz County Jail on suspicion of forgery and passing a fictitious check and her bail was set at $50,000, Wilson said.
south bay news
- Man leads police on wild chase around Antioch
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- BART and unions to meet today over contract 17 min ago
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- Fiery big-rig crash cleared from I-80 in Pinole 24 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos