South Bay News
Final suspect in 14-year-old's murder now in custody
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The eighth and final suspect in the murder of a 14-year-old boy in San Jose last April is now behind bars, police said Saturday.
Joe Chavarria, 31, was arrested Thursday in connection with a brutal beating that killed San Jose boy Heriberto Reyes on April 27, 2012 at Roosevelt Park in San Jose, police said.
Police said officers located Chavarria, who had an arrest warrant in connection with the homicide, at an apartment in the 200 block of East Dunne Avenue in Morgan Hill, where he had been hiding out.
He was taken to county jail where he is being held.
Seven men -- defendants Ruben Becerra, Scott Conway, James Conklin, Angel Lamas, Javier Lamas, Jacob Lynch and Clemente Salas, were arrested last year and charged with murder attempted murder in connection with the beating death and near-death of Heriberto's older brother Juan Reyes.
According to prosecutors, the seven defendants punched and kicked Heribert and his older brother in a basketball court at Roosevelt Park in a gang-related attack.
The 14-year-old, an eighth-grader at Bernal Intermediate School, was taken to the Regional Medical Center of San Jose, where he died.
His brother survived serious injuries suffered during the attack.
crime, gang violence, san jose, south bay news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan
- Online retailers take part in Free Shipping Day
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 US films to be preserved
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 21 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
22 min ago