South Bay News
Watsonville man arrested, $70K worth of meth found
WATSONVILLE, Calif. -- Santa Cruz County authorities seized guns and $70,000 worth of methamphetamine during a search of a Watsonville home that stemmed from a traffic stop on Wednesday afternoon, according to a regional anti-crime team.
Adan Nunez-Torres was driving near Green Valley Road and Celia Drive about a mile north of Watsonville at about 3:15 p.m. Wednesday when he was pulled over by members of the Santa Cruz County Gang Task Force.
The task force members determined that he was driving without a license, found 2.5 ounces of crystal methamphetamine in the car, and arrested him, authorities said.
The task force turned the case over to the Santa Cruz County Anti-Crime Team, a countywide drug enforcement group, for further investigation.
Suspecting that Nunez-Torres used his Watsonville home to stash more drugs, the crime team obtained a search warrant, according to the team.
Members of the crime team, accompanied by Homeland Security agents, entered the home at about 5:15 p.m. and confiscated 1.5 pounds of crystal methamphetamine with a street value of about $70,000; drug weighing and preparation equipment; a loaded .45-caliber handgun; a 9mm handgun that was reported stolen; and $3,000 in cash.
Nunez-Torres was booked into Santa Cruz County Jail on charges of possession and transportation of a controlled substance for sale and possession of a controlled substance while armed with a gun. Homeland Security has placed an immigration hold on him.
watsonville, santa cruz county, drugs, guns, south bay news
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped 56 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 47 min ago
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code 49 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting 10 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos