South Bay News
Man tries to kidnap 3-year-old boy at Great Mall
MILPITAS, Calif. -- Investigators are seeking a man suspected of attempting to kidnap a 3-year-old boy from a store in the Great Mall shopping center in Milpitas on Jan. 6, Milpitas police said.
The boy's mother told police that at about 5 p.m. that day, she was holding the boy's hand while in the Sporters team apparel shop with her husband, police said.
She then felt a tug from the boy and let go of his hand, thinking that her husband had taken the boy, police said.
The mother then checked on her family members and saw the suspect walking out of the store holding the boy's left hand, police said.
She yelled at the suspect, who was only about 10 feet away from her, and he let go of the boy's hand and fled into the mall, police said.
The boy was unhurt, police said.
All police officers on duty in Milpitas were sent to the Great Mall and assisted mall security with setting up a perimeter at all entrances to the mall, police said.
Police officers walked through the mall for an hour but did not find the suspect, police said.
The suspect is described as an Asian male, aged 50 to 60 years old, 5 feet 4 inches to 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing about 200 pounds, police said.
Police have released a composite sketch of the suspect.
"We're looking for anyone at the Great Mall who was there or who recognizes him to give us a call," police spokesman Sgt. Raj Maharaj said.
Anyone with information about the incident may call the Milpitas Police Department at (408) 586-2400, or give information anonymously at (408) 586-2500.
milpitas, children, crime, south bay news
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Bay Area man arrested for killing relatives abroad
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- No charges in Starbucks orange juice case 12 min ago
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend
- Rare Apple computer could fetch $640k at auction
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Teen remembered 19 years after unsolved murder
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup 2 min ago
- Get Free Stuff: Coffee; Shampoo
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Unsolved murder vigil; Oakland shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 51 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
52 min ago