South Bay News
Student recants story of seeing gunman
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- The search for a gunman in Sunnyvale that prompted the lockdown of three schools has ended after public safety officials said information may have been fabricated.
A search was under way Friday morning between Homestead Road, South Bernardo Avenue, Helena Drive and Wright Avenue for the suspect.
However, according to officials, the sighting of a gunman in the area may have been fabricated in a 911 call.
Sunnyvale's city website posted a statement that said Cupertino Middle School and West Valley Elementary School had been locked down, as well as Homestead High School in Cupertino.
The statement said Cupertino Middle School, which is within the search area, was in "code red" mode while the other two schools were "code blue," meaning they were only locked down as a precaution.
sunnyvale, cupertino, school lockdown, crime, children, south bay news
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward 23 min ago
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Protest continues at CCSF; rally planned at city hall 4 min ago
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos