South Bay News
Student recants story of seeing gunman
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- The search for a gunman in Sunnyvale that prompted the lockdown of three schools has ended after public safety officials said information may have been fabricated.
A search was under way Friday morning between Homestead Road, South Bernardo Avenue, Helena Drive and Wright Avenue for the suspect.
However, according to officials, the sighting of a gunman in the area may have been fabricated in a 911 call.
Sunnyvale's city website posted a statement that said Cupertino Middle School and West Valley Elementary School had been locked down, as well as Homestead High School in Cupertino.
The statement said Cupertino Middle School, which is within the search area, was in "code red" mode while the other two schools were "code blue," meaning they were only locked down as a precaution.
sunnyvale, cupertino, school lockdown, crime, children, south bay news
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Woman suspected of starting brush fire arrested
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- Apps help protect your smartphone from snoops
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos