South Bay News
Residents pack Los Gatos town hall over gun store
LOS GATOS, Calif. (KGO) -- With gun control part of the national debate after the Sandy Hook tragedy, people in Los Gatos packed town hall Monday night. They were there for a public hearing on a gun store that opened there in December.
The meeting went on for more than four hours as residents discussed an issue that has sparked controversy rarely seen in this town.
"The opening of Templar Sports, a gun shop, has created a huge division in our town," said Los Gatos resident Cynthia Schneider.
Those opposed to the opening of the gun store toted signs honoring victims of the Sandy Hook massacre. Templar Sports opened just days after a gunman killed 20 children in Connecticut.
Opponents complain that Los Gatos town officials didn't conduct a public review of the permit process. But they weren't required to. And critics are worried about how close the store is to Van Meter Elementary.
"When I heard about a store being opened that warehouses guns 2,000 feet from our school, just around the corner, I felt a bit sick at heart," said Donna Matier, a gun store opponent.
Supporters of the store showed up en masse as well, waving bright orange signs. The crowd was so large, it overflowed into the lobby. Supporters say the owners of the store followed the rules and legally opened up their business.
"Treating this gun store, or treating this sporting goods store, as a pariah in affect treats all of us sportsmen and sportswomen in the same fashion and I think Los Gatos is a better town than that," said Robert Oneto, a gun store supporter.
Town staff members presented a report suggesting rules for more of a public review. However, its likely new rules would affect only future gun stores looking to open in Los Gatos. More than 100 people signed up to make a public comment and by about 11 p.m., they had only gotten through about half of those people. There was no word on how long the meeting might stretch into the night.
los gatos, guns, connecticut school shooting, south bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support 26 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies 10 min ago
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
58 min ago
- Santa Clara County hit hard by bad air
12 min ago