South Bay News
SJPD arrest parolee who stole police van
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A man who maneuvered his body through handcuffs and drove away in a police van Wednesday was arrested late Thursday after patrol officers found him sleeping in a stolen truck in south San Jose, police said.
Anthony Sanchez, 32, was found by officers at about 11:22 p.m. dozing inside the truck near Normington Way and Mountcastle Drive west of Pearl Avenue, San Jose police spokesman Sgt. Jason Dwyer said.
Officers took Sanchez into custody without incident and found two sets of handcuffs taken from the unmarked police van on Wednesday, Dwyer said.
Sanchez was arrested on suspicion of four counts of car theft, as well as burglary, possession of narcotics and stolen property and two probation violation warrants, Dwyer said.
On Wednesday night, a police officer arrested and handcuffed Sanchez on a probation violation and placed him in the unmarked police van in the 800 block of Hillsdale Avenue in San Jose.
As the police officer completed paperwork, Sanchez maneuvered the cuffs from behind his back to the front of his body, leapt into the driver's seat of the van and used the key in the ignition to drive away in it.
Police located the van about two hours later near Almaden Expressway and Wren Drive in South San Jose.
san jose, SJPD, crime, south bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud 35 min ago
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman 35 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont 36 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market 38 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire 35 min ago
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 37 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
55 min ago