South Bay News
San Jose unveils free, fast Wi-Fi service for downtown
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed, City Council Member San Liccardo and technology executives cut a ceremonial Ethernet cable Thursday to kick off a new free Wi-Fi service in part of downtown San Jose.
The "Wickedly Fast" network will provide Internet download speeds three to four times faster than those of average outdoor Wi-Fi networks, a city spokesman said.
The network will be comparable to fast indoor-based networks, allowing users to stream videos from websites like YouTube, Hulu and Netflix on city sidewalks from their iPads, smartphones and laptops.
"We are able to provide that outdoors -- a wireless network for the way we consume data today," said Vijay Sammeta, acting chief information officer for San Jose.
"What you could only do indoors, you can now do outdoors," Sammeta said.
The venture is a public-private partnership between the city of San Jose and the companies Ruckus Wireless, of Sunnyvale, and SmartWAVE Technologies LLC based in Suwanee, Ga.
San Jose invested about $94,000 into the network and will cover the $22,000 annually needed to maintain it, Sammeta said.
Ruckus provided about $150,000 worth of equipment, while SmartWAVE furnished the engineering side to make sure the network operates at a high speed, Sammeta said.
san jose, chuck reed, internet, silicon valley, south bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court 31 min ago
- Man fined $525 for refilling drink without paying
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear...
31 min ago