South Bay News
San Jose unveils free, fast Wi-Fi service for downtown
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed, City Council Member San Liccardo and technology executives cut a ceremonial Ethernet cable Thursday to kick off a new free Wi-Fi service in part of downtown San Jose.
The "Wickedly Fast" network will provide Internet download speeds three to four times faster than those of average outdoor Wi-Fi networks, a city spokesman said.
The network will be comparable to fast indoor-based networks, allowing users to stream videos from websites like YouTube, Hulu and Netflix on city sidewalks from their iPads, smartphones and laptops.
"We are able to provide that outdoors -- a wireless network for the way we consume data today," said Vijay Sammeta, acting chief information officer for San Jose.
"What you could only do indoors, you can now do outdoors," Sammeta said.
The venture is a public-private partnership between the city of San Jose and the companies Ruckus Wireless, of Sunnyvale, and SmartWAVE Technologies LLC based in Suwanee, Ga.
San Jose invested about $94,000 into the network and will cover the $22,000 annually needed to maintain it, Sammeta said.
Ruckus provided about $150,000 worth of equipment, while SmartWAVE furnished the engineering side to make sure the network operates at a high speed, Sammeta said.
san jose, chuck reed, internet, silicon valley, south bay news
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF 40 min ago
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd 26 min ago
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 56 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos