South Bay News
Watsonville mom reunited with boys snatched in Mexico
WATSONVILLE, Calif. -- A California woman and her two sons are back together after the boys were kidnapped and held for ransom in Mexico for more than a year.
The Santa Cruz Sentinel reported on Thursday that Sarani Hernandez, 33, of Watsonville, and her 9- and 11-year-old sons were reunited earlier this month.
The boys, both U.S. citizens, were abducted in 2011 by a couple who told Hernandez they could bring the children back from Mexico, authorities said. Hernandez had left them in the state of Michoacan with her mother.
But police and U.S. Justice Department officials said the couple instead kidnapped the boys and took them to the city of Ciudad Juarez. There, together with Maria Guadalupe Valenzuela Castaneda, they extorted thousands of dollars from Hernandez, threatening to kill her, authorities said.
Hernandez, a Mexican national who was applying for U.S. citizenship, not only feared for her life. She was also concerned about being deported if she approached authorities. But last year she moved from Washington state to the Northern California city of Watsonville, where she asked the police for help. Local police contacted the FBI, which worked with Mexican police to find the boys in December.
After working with social services in Mexico, the family was eventually reunited in March.
"They just hugged each other for several minutes. Even the boys were crying," Watsonville police officer Elizabeth Sousa told the Sentinel. "It was an incredible experience."
The couple, Jesus Salinas and Patricia Delatorre, was arrested in January in Mount Vernon, Wash., and faces federal kidnapping charges in San Jose. Castaneda remains at large.
watsonville, san jose, children, child abduction, mexico, FBI, immigration, south bay news
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- 2-alarm fire damages historic restaurant in Larkspur 48 min ago
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder 13 min ago
- Crews control one-alarm house fire in Antioch
- Los Angeles subway dig finds prehistoric artifacts 47 min ago
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon 20 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench 14 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos