South Bay News
Milpitas residents return home after gas leak evacuation
MILPITAS, Calif. (KGO) -- Dozens of people in Milpitas were forced from their homes because of a gas leak Sunday afternoon. It happened in the area of Lassen Avenue and South Park Victoria Drive.
PG&E says a worker doing routine maintenance broke a residential service line around 1:15 p.m.
As a precautionary measure, local authorities went door-to-door, evacuating nearby homes. The homeowner where the gas leak came from told us what happened.
"We suspected a leak and the PG&E guy came to take a look at it," Milpitas resident Rajesh Mittal said. "And he was checking the main line. And he tried to shut off the main line valve, I guess. There was a sound. And I think the cover got popped off. And he couldn't turn off the gas."
Residents were allowed to return home after a few hours.
There were no reports of injuries.
milpitas, PG&E, gas leak, evacuation, south bay news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed 2 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water 23 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- Rescued paralyzed dog comforts siblings with autism
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test 3 min ago
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban 2 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
28 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos