South Bay News
San Jose monument honors Vietnam War soldiers
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- United States troops came home from Vietnam 40 years ago and San Jose is marking the occasion by unveiling a new war memorial, honoring local troops.
The San Jose monument was unveiled Saturday at 12 p.m.
It's called Sons of San Jose and will forever salute the 142 men who were born and raised in the Bay Area's largest city and gave the ultimate sacrifice in the Vietnam War.
The monument stands 6 feet tall and is13 feet long.
The names of the fallen soldiers are etched in black granite. It includes the name of one soldier who is still missing in action.
The group behind the monument built it so veterans and families who lost loved ones, will know their sacrifices will not be forgotten.
"The guys who came back from Vietnam War were not recognized the way they are today. So we want to make sure they get that recognition. That people understand that the men who went to fight, the women who went to fight, in that war, did so for their country," said Dennis Fernandez of the San Jose Vietnam Memorial Fund.
Volunteers raised more than $75,000 for the monument.
The ceremony took place at Guadalupe River Park near HP Pavilion.
More than 300 people were expected to attend the ceremony including Mayor Chuck Reed
military, san jose, chuck reed, south bay news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 59 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos