South Bay News
Police ID suspect in wild car crash, attack at SJ Walmart
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose police have identified a man suspected in a wild attack at a South Bay Walmart store on Sunday afternoon. They say 33-year-old Haamid Zaid drove his car into the Walmart on Story Road and started attacking customers.
It was just after 11:15 a.m. when the red Oldsmobile Cutlass sped around the parking lot several times, careening into cars before driving onto the sidewalk and crashing through the front doors.
Witnesses described a wild scene inside as customers panicked and ran for the exits.
Zaid allegedly climbed out of the cutlass and armed with a pole or a metal rod he hit the first man who approached him. The victim was a store employee who suffered a serious wound to the head.
Cellphone video shows how customers inside the store took down Zaid and held him until police arrived.
The incident was very much out of character, according to Zaid's mother. She said she and other family members are still trying to digest what happened.
Zaid is facing charges for assault with a deadly weapon and being under the influence of drugs as well as resisting arrest. He is being held without bail in Santa Clara County jail and is scheduled to make his first court appearance Tuesday.
san jose, walmart, crash, violence, crime, shopping, SJPD, south bay news
- Pres. Obama mourns death of icon Nelson Mandela 1 min ago
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Teen found murdered in 1994 ID'd as Pacifica girl
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Frigid temperatures grip Bay Area, break records
- I-5 in Stockton reopens after officer-involved shooting 1 min ago
- Batkid returning to SF for fundraising walk
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Wendy's worker arrested after hiding pot in burger 36 min ago
- At 50, new-look Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- FBI seeks 'Sports Cap Bandit' bank robbery suspect
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: Batkid back in SF; Fremont burglar
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday