South Bay News
Police ID suspect in wild car crash, attack at SJ Walmart
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose police have identified a man suspected in a wild attack at a South Bay Walmart store on Sunday afternoon. They say 33-year-old Haamid Zaid drove his car into the Walmart on Story Road and started attacking customers.
It was just after 11:15 a.m. when the red Oldsmobile Cutlass sped around the parking lot several times, careening into cars before driving onto the sidewalk and crashing through the front doors.
Witnesses described a wild scene inside as customers panicked and ran for the exits.
Zaid allegedly climbed out of the cutlass and armed with a pole or a metal rod he hit the first man who approached him. The victim was a store employee who suffered a serious wound to the head.
Cellphone video shows how customers inside the store took down Zaid and held him until police arrived.
The incident was very much out of character, according to Zaid's mother. She said she and other family members are still trying to digest what happened.
Zaid is facing charges for assault with a deadly weapon and being under the influence of drugs as well as resisting arrest. He is being held without bail in Santa Clara County jail and is scheduled to make his first court appearance Tuesday.
san jose, walmart, crash, violence, crime, shopping, SJPD, south bay news
- Protesters vacate CCSF building, head to city hall
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Manhunt on for Bay Area ATM robber 29 min ago
- Oakland considers dropping ShotSpotter technology 56 min ago
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- 'Selfie' section added to Apple's iTunes App Store 28 min ago
- CDC reports rare woman-to-woman HIV transmission
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Gorilla delivered via rare C-section at San Diego Zoo 58 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Gorilla delivered via rare C-section at San...
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos