South Bay News
Police ID suspect in wild car crash, attack at SJ Walmart
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose police have identified a man suspected in a wild attack at a South Bay Walmart store on Sunday afternoon. They say 33-year-old Haamid Zaid drove his car into the Walmart on Story Road and started attacking customers.
It was just after 11:15 a.m. when the red Oldsmobile Cutlass sped around the parking lot several times, careening into cars before driving onto the sidewalk and crashing through the front doors.
Witnesses described a wild scene inside as customers panicked and ran for the exits.
Zaid allegedly climbed out of the cutlass and armed with a pole or a metal rod he hit the first man who approached him. The victim was a store employee who suffered a serious wound to the head.
Cellphone video shows how customers inside the store took down Zaid and held him until police arrived.
The incident was very much out of character, according to Zaid's mother. She said she and other family members are still trying to digest what happened.
Zaid is facing charges for assault with a deadly weapon and being under the influence of drugs as well as resisting arrest. He is being held without bail in Santa Clara County jail and is scheduled to make his first court appearance Tuesday.
san jose, walmart, crash, violence, crime, shopping, SJPD, south bay news
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Local teen gets Bryan Cranston's help in promposal
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 48 min ago
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall 51 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos