South Bay News
Wrestling stars spread message in San Jose about bullying
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Wrestling is the second most popular sport in Mexico right behind soccer, or football as they call it. And two of these masked wrestlers met with kids in the South Bay on Thursday. Their message wasn't about what happens in the ring. It was about something that all too often happens at school.
It was hard for these kids to believe, but two of Lucha Libre USA wrestling's biggest stars were victims of bullying. Mini Park says the kids who taunted him in school were relentless.
"And it made him very unhappy and it made him so unhappy that he actually became depressed about it," said a translator for Park.
Lizmark Jr. says it was hard for him to tell an adult about it. The kids at the Alma Community Center understood. One kid we interviewed said he feared being called a snitch and being picked on more, if he told someone.
Both wresters say they did one of the bravest things they've ever had to do.
"He said, 'I am having this problem. I have people who are calling me names and they're making me feel bad about myself,'" said a translator for Park.
And once they both got it into the open, the stress and problems went away.
"If you are suffering bullying you are not the only one who is suffering this problem. Don't feel alone," said Mark Jr.
san jose, children, school violence, south bay news, alan wang
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael 49 min ago
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash 28 min ago
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
44 min ago