South Bay News
Woman arrested in SJ kidnapping of infant, car theft
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A San Jose woman was arrested Friday in connection with the kidnapping of an 11-month old girl who was sitting in a car when it was stolen, police said Saturday.
Karla Hernandez, 30, was arrested in San Jose in connection with the March 25th incident on suspicion of kidnapping, child endangerment, vehicle theft, possession of drugs and being under the influence of drugs, according to police spokesman Officer Albert Morales.
Hernandez was identified as a suspect after police released a sketch the day after the alleged kidnapping, but Morales said witnesses and physical evidence also tied her to the crime.
The child, Gabriella Quintero, was taken at about 6:30 a.m. after her mother briefly left her unattended in a 2006 Jeep Liberty outside their home in the 2300 block of Amador Court in East San Jose, police said.
The mother, Graciella Quintero, had been warming up the vehicle with the baby inside. She left momentarily to close her garage door, leaving the key in the ignition, and when she came back she saw her car being driven away with the infant inside, police said.
It is not clear whether the person who took the car knew there was a baby in the backseat, police said Monday.
The girl was found by police unharmed inside the abandoned Jeep at 11:22 a.m. about 4 miles to the south, in the 400 block of Amargosa Court in San Jose.
The suspect sketch showed a woman the mother had seen standing near her car just before it was taken.
amber alert, san jose, SJPD, children, south bay news
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice 51 min ago
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Cold snap damages plants in Bay Area yards
35 min ago