South Bay News
Standoff in Gilroy ends safely with suspect in custody
GILROY, Calif. -- A Gilroy apartment cA suspect barricaded inside a Gilroy apartment complex this afternoon and feared to have a bomb or guns has been taken into custody and residents should soon be able to return home, a city spokesman said.
The complex was evacuated after police received a call at 10 a.m. about a person creating a disturbance at the Cypress Pointe Apartments at 8200 Kern Ave., Gilroy spokesman Joe Kline said.
Police ordered the evacuation of the complex and isolated a specific apartment after witnesses indicated that the person inside might have a bomb and firearms, Kline said.
A SWAT team and other negotiators tried to convince the person to exit the apartment and the standoff finished with the suspect in custody at about 4:15 p.m., Kline said.
No one was injured.
Officers from the Morgan Hill Police Department and the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office also responded to the scene, Kline said.
Traffic was blocked on Kern Avenue between Welburn Avenue and First Street, and a two-block area around the scene was cordoned off, Kline said.
A shelter for evacuees was set up at the Gilroy Senior Center at 7371 Hanna St. in Gilroy.
As of shortly after 5 p.m. police were checking the apartment where the suspect was barricaded to make sure there was no further threat and planned to let residents back into the area once it was cleared, Kline said.
gilroy, crime, guns, south bay news
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire 35 min ago
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420" 54 min ago
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- One killed in boating accident in Redwood City 17 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1 27 min ago
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets 15 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
37 min ago
- Video shows burglar prowling in baby's room
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos