South Bay News
8 people charged in San Jose moving company scheme
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Eight people connected with a San Jose moving company have been charged with a scheme that prosecutors say involved holding furniture and other personal belongings hostage. Most of the defendants fled the country, but three former employees did face a judge on Monday.
These are the men and woman who prosecutors say lured customers with lowball quotes, then held people's belongings hostage on moving day until they paid more money.
Kim Balchios was one of hundreds of victims. Her initial quote of $240 ended up being nearly $1,000 after the foreman kept tacking on fees for extra packaging, materials and hours.
"They have you trapped because you have to get out of your old apartment. You took time off work. I had to go back to work the next day. I mean this move had to be done that day," said Balchios.
The San Jose moving company went by several different names since 2004; A.S.A.P. Relocations and America's Best Movers were among them. Their office on Ringwood Avenue is empty now, and three former employees were arraigned Monday afternoon for felony theft, income tax fraud and money laundering.
Maoz Kadesh, Wayne Allen and Adalinda Reyna-Mendoza pleaded not guilty. The remaining five defendants are believed to have fled to Israel, their home country.
"There are a group of people who come into the U.S. after their military duty and do this type of business. It's not isolated to our county, it's something that happens across the United States," said Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney Martha Donohoe.
This case is scheduled to go to trial in June. As for the five employees who skipped town, the district attorney plans to issue a warrant for their arrest.
san jose, south bay news, lilian kim
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident 19 min ago
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014 38 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run 42 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos