South Bay News
Woman leaves tainted juice at San Jose Starbucks
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- At a San Jose Starbucks a person tried to leave tainted orange juice for customers to buy.
Thankfully, someone saw something suspicious and reported it before anyone had a chance to drink that juice. Now there's concern this isn't the first time or the last that a woman has tried it.
A customer noticed a woman's odd behavior as she walked in, pulled out two bottles of orange juice and stacked them next to other refrigerated items. After the woman left, the customer told the store manager and the employees noticed a toxic smell coming from the containers so they called in the San Jose hazardous materials team.
One bottle was found to contain a mixture of orange juice and isopropyl alcohol, also known as rubbing alcohol. The other bottle had acetone in it, which is commonly used as nail polish remover.
Surveillance cameras captured the suspect's license plate and police traced it back to the suspect's home in South San Jose where they arrested 50-year-old Ramineh Behbehanian.
No one drank the tainted orange juice and investigators do not believe she did this at any other stores. Regardless, Starbucks says it is checking its bottled beverages at other nearby stores.
Police have not released a motive as to why this woman would want to poison customers, but they plan to hold a press conference on Tuesday morning.
san jose, starbucks, crime, south bay news, alan wang
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 12 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos