South Bay News
Child hit, killed by SUV in San Jose; woman injured
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose police are investigating a tragic situation where two children were hit by a car and one of them didn't survive.
A 6-year-old girl was killed. That girl, Aileen Quiroz, her little sister Arlet, and her aunt, Mari-Elaina, were all hit by an SUV on Bluefield Drive and Vistapark Drive in the Almaden Valley neighborhood of San Jose.
At about 3:24 p.m. the girls and woman were hit in the middle of Bluefield Drive while they were crossing the street, leaving Parkview Elementary School. The aunt was taken to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries. The 6-year-old girl was pronounced dead at the scene.
Neighbors in the area say they're often concerned about the speeding cars in their neighborhood and said people will blow by at 50 mph.
"The driver of the vehicle did stop. He is cooperating with the investigation. He was taken down, voluntarily, to the police department and is being interviewed right now by investigators," said San Jose Police Officer Albert Morales.
The 2-year-old girl also was injured, although the parents and the aunt did not know that at the time. She went home and then the injuries were discovered. The parents then decided to take her to the hospital to get checked out. Police say she only has minor injuries.
san jose, children, pedestrian struck, south bay news, david louie
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake 24 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 19 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond 38 min ago
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Perfect Pet: Isabella
52 min ago