South Bay News
Child hit, killed by SUV in San Jose; woman injured
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose police are investigating a tragic situation where two children were hit by a car and one of them didn't survive.
A 6-year-old girl was killed. That girl, Aileen Quiroz, her little sister Arlet, and her aunt, Mari-Elaina, were all hit by an SUV on Bluefield Drive and Vistapark Drive in the Almaden Valley neighborhood of San Jose.
At about 3:24 p.m. the girls and woman were hit in the middle of Bluefield Drive while they were crossing the street, leaving Parkview Elementary School. The aunt was taken to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries. The 6-year-old girl was pronounced dead at the scene.
Neighbors in the area say they're often concerned about the speeding cars in their neighborhood and said people will blow by at 50 mph.
"The driver of the vehicle did stop. He is cooperating with the investigation. He was taken down, voluntarily, to the police department and is being interviewed right now by investigators," said San Jose Police Officer Albert Morales.
The 2-year-old girl also was injured, although the parents and the aunt did not know that at the time. She went home and then the injuries were discovered. The parents then decided to take her to the hospital to get checked out. Police say she only has minor injuries.
san jose, children, pedestrian struck, south bay news, david louie
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed 11 min ago
- Another mistake found in BART union contract 14 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water 32 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test 8 min ago
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban 11 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
37 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos