South Bay News
Photos released of suspect in violent carjacking at SJ Denny's
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Police have released images showing a man they say is responsible for a violent carjacking at a San Jose Denny's. It happened at the restaurant on Blossom Hill Road. Police say the victim managed to jump out of the moving car.
Police say they have some good pictures of the alleged carjacker because surveillance cameras inside the Denny's got him as he walked into the restaurant sometime before the incident.
The photos show a man who police say attacked a customer just as she arrived at the Denny's around 4:30 a.m. Friday.
"Runs up to her driver's side door, forces his way into the car, pushes her over into the passenger seat, and basically flees, which is a carjacking," Sgt. Jason Dwyer said.
Police say the man sped down Sanchez Drive. But the victim jumped out of the car, which was going about 40 miles per hour.
"Road rash from hitting the ground and rolling, these are pretty significant injuries, and you can imagine the emotional fear and damage that was done in addition to the physical damage," Sgt. Dwyer said.
The woman made it back to Denny's and called police.
One regular customer of this restaurant tells us he's surprised to hear that this happened.
"My sons walk from here to Oakridge all the time, and they actually cut through here all the time so, you know, that's quite alarming for me," customer and neighbor John Viray said.
Police say the man ditched the victim's vehicle in the neighborhood.
The suspect is described as about 18 to 25 years old, standing about 5'7", weighing about 150 pounds.
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Detective Rafael Varela in the San Jose Police Department's Robbery Unit at (408)277-4166. Persons wishing to provide information anonymously may call Silicon Valley Crimestoppers at (408)947-STOP (7867).
san jose, SJPD, crime, violence, caught on tape, restaurants, south bay news
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car 27 min ago
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash 14 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday