South Bay News
Free dental care offered at San Jose Convention Center
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- People without health insurance may receive free dental work in San Jose this weekend.
Hundreds of people lined up Friday night outside of the San Jose Convention Center to take advantage of free dental services that were being offered at 5 a.m. on Saturday.
Nearly 800 dentists, dental hygienists and dental assistants from across California provided free services.
The California Dental Association is sponsoring the event to help uninsured or under-insured children and adults who need treatment.
"Dental care is so expensive that it's like, with the economy the way it is right now, it's kind of something that's on the back burner or you choose whether you want to feed your family or pay your rent keep a roof over your head," dental care recipient Anita Martin said.
"But just having the opportunity to come out and see the dentists working on people for free, helping out the community, it's a great thing," dental care recipient Art Flores said.
There are 100 chairs for 100 patients to be treated at a time and services are available on a first-come, first-served basis. It takes about three to four hours to get through the whole clinic. Children under 18 must be with an adult.
The California Dental Association expects to service more than 2,000 people over the weekend.
Free dental care services will be available at 5 a.m. on Sunday.
san jose, south bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case