South Bay News
Free dental care offered at San Jose Convention Center
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- People without health insurance may receive free dental work in San Jose this weekend.
Hundreds of people lined up Friday night outside of the San Jose Convention Center to take advantage of free dental services that were being offered at 5 a.m. on Saturday.
Nearly 800 dentists, dental hygienists and dental assistants from across California provided free services.
The California Dental Association is sponsoring the event to help uninsured or under-insured children and adults who need treatment.
"Dental care is so expensive that it's like, with the economy the way it is right now, it's kind of something that's on the back burner or you choose whether you want to feed your family or pay your rent keep a roof over your head," dental care recipient Anita Martin said.
"But just having the opportunity to come out and see the dentists working on people for free, helping out the community, it's a great thing," dental care recipient Art Flores said.
There are 100 chairs for 100 patients to be treated at a time and services are available on a first-come, first-served basis. It takes about three to four hours to get through the whole clinic. Children under 18 must be with an adult.
The California Dental Association expects to service more than 2,000 people over the weekend.
Free dental care services will be available at 5 a.m. on Sunday.
san jose, south bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City 31 min ago
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 46 min ago
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover 43 min ago
- Consumer Reports puts toothbrushes to the test 45 min ago
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident 42 min ago
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Military shell prompted evacuation of hundreds 13 min ago
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- Mi Pueblo grocery stores submit bankruptcy plans
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch 21 min ago