South Bay News
Silver Creek High School sophomore killed in bike accident
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A South Bay family is trying to cope with the sudden loss of their 16-year-old son who was hit by a car while riding his bike to school Monday morning.
By Monday afternoon, investigators gathered up Andy Martinez's shoes, back-pack. They tried to re-create the accident by matching bike tire skid-marks on the Ford F-150 pickup involved in the collision.
The incident occurred just after 7:30 a.m. while the Silver Creek High School sophomore was on his way to school. He was only a block away when the accident happened.
Police are still piecing together who had the right of way.
"We don't have any indication of fault at this time. Our traffic investigators are out here and they will go ahead and determine whether speed was a factor. Right now we don't know whether drugs or alcohol were a factor as well," said Lt. Albert Morales of the San Jose Police Department.
The pickup was headed north on Silver Creek Road. Martinez was heading east on Capital Expressway. Police say he was not wearing a helmet.
"The driver did stop immediately. He did pull over to the side and he is currently cooperating with the investigators," said, Morales.
Sue Tatro, Ph.D., had Martinez in a class to help students who struggled academically their freshman year. She thought so highly of him that she begged his parents to leave him at SCHS when they moved closer to another high school earlier this year.
"Tall, smiley, always singing, always singing. So much so that, I, you know, I have to say, 'OK, now just for right now. OK, you can sing when your math is finished,'" she said.
Silver Creek principal Adolfo Laguna says Martinez had just recently gotten the bike after the family moved.
"Everyone is in shock. They are grieving and we have many, many students and staff members that have been reaching out to us and we're providing the support," he said.
san jose, crash, SJPD, bikes, traffic, south bay news, heather ishimaru
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Fatal accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 27 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
59 min ago