South Bay News
Woman killed after SUV veered off Hwy 101 into creek
A woman was killed this morning near Morgan Hill after her SUV veered off U.S. Highway 101, went through a fence and came to rest partially submerged in a creek, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The woman was driving by herself at a high rate of speed in a 2000 Toyota SUV while headed south on 101 north of Cochrane Road at about 3:14 a.m., the CHP said.
For some reason, she then turned into the center median east of the roadway, the CHP said.
Her car left the highway, smashed through a chain link fence and plunged about 25 feet into Coyote Creek that runs beneath 101, the CHP said.
The driver's side of the SUV came to rest in the creek water, which was about two feet deep, the CHP said.
CHP officers reported at 3:35 a.m. that the woman was still in the vehicle with their head underwater and they were unable to get to her.
Emergency responders reached the scene and after she was extracted from the SUV, performed CPR on her at 3:46 a.m. but soon pronounced her dead from her injuries, the CHP said.
The woman, between 25 and 45 years old, was not identified at the scene and her name will not be released until her family members are notified, the CHP said.
Officers at the CHP's bureau in Gilroy are handling the investigation into the single-car accident.
Traffic on 101 was not affected by the accident, the CHP said.
morgan hill, highway 101, CHP, crash, water, south bay news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos