South Bay News
Watsonville police arrest man for alleged sexual assault on young girl
WATSONVILLE, Calif. -- A man was arrested after an investigation determined he had sexually abused an 8-year-old girl, a Watsonville police sergeant said Wednesday.
The family of the young girl went to the Police Department last Saturday and informed police that 20-year-old Jonathan Cash has been sexually abusing her, Sgt. Eric Taylor said.
Taylor said the family knows Cash and that he has been abusing the girl for at least two years, but "it has escalated to much worse behavior the last few weeks."
Police tracked down Cash at the Northridge Mall in Salinas and officers in Salinas detained him, Taylor said.
Cash had several videos of himself sexually abusing the girl saved on his computer, enough to substantiate the girl's claim, Taylor said.
He also admitted to committing the crime, Taylor said.
Cash was arrested and booked into Santa Cruz County Jail on suspicion of committing a sexual act with a child 10 years or younger, Taylor said.
Watsonville police are now working with Salinas police to find out if Cash, who has known addresses in both cities, has abused any other victims.
The girl and her family are being offered counseling to help "cope and heal through this," Taylor said.
Anyone with information about this case is urged to call Watsonville police at (831) 728-3544 or (831) 768-3352.
watsonville, salinas, santa cruz county, sex crimes, child abuse, children, computers, south bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force 23 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday