South Bay News
48 indicted in Santa Clara County gang crackdown
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Drugs, weapons and murder were some of the charges against 48 members of a violent Hispanic gang indicted Tuesday by a Santa Clara grand jury. In all, the district attorney filed 77 charges.
"They even ordered the death of a man and then, on our streets, murdered him," said Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen.
According to the indictments, the gang members even robbed six San Jose banks, threatening tellers with guns and fake bombs. This was the largest gang enforcement operation ever in Santa Clara County and one of the biggest in California.
They call themselves Nuestra Familia, or Our family. Some were already in prison for other crimes. Others were arrested in a big police sweep.
The massive indictments follow a similar multi-agency operation last year in Gilroy. The city, at the time had been overwhelmed by gang violence.
"We put away approximately 36 gang members and so for the year following that, we had virtually no crime related to gangs," Gilroy Police Chief Denise Turner.
Santa Clara County law enforcement agencies hope this latest operation will have the same effect.
Some of those indicted are three strike felons and many of the charges carry long prison sentences of 25 years or more.
santa clara county, san jose, crime, gang violence, south bay news, vic lee
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket 28 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- School marching band hit by robber gets big donation 15 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday