South Bay News
48 indicted in Santa Clara County gang crackdown
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Drugs, weapons and murder were some of the charges against 48 members of a violent Hispanic gang indicted Tuesday by a Santa Clara grand jury. In all, the district attorney filed 77 charges.
"They even ordered the death of a man and then, on our streets, murdered him," said Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen.
According to the indictments, the gang members even robbed six San Jose banks, threatening tellers with guns and fake bombs. This was the largest gang enforcement operation ever in Santa Clara County and one of the biggest in California.
They call themselves Nuestra Familia, or Our family. Some were already in prison for other crimes. Others were arrested in a big police sweep.
The massive indictments follow a similar multi-agency operation last year in Gilroy. The city, at the time had been overwhelmed by gang violence.
"We put away approximately 36 gang members and so for the year following that, we had virtually no crime related to gangs," Gilroy Police Chief Denise Turner.
Santa Clara County law enforcement agencies hope this latest operation will have the same effect.
Some of those indicted are three strike felons and many of the charges carry long prison sentences of 25 years or more.
santa clara county, san jose, crime, gang violence, south bay news, vic lee
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- Obama hams it up for health care on Funny or Die
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos