South Bay News
Construction on hold after death at Levi's Stadium
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- New details are surfacing about the worker who was killed Tuesday in an accident at the San Francisco 49ers' new stadium in Santa Clara.
Workers are being kept away from the site and all construction at Levi's Stadium is shut down Wednesday while state and local officials investigate the tragedy.
The death of 63-year-old Donald White came as a shock to the community. The Santa Clara City Council made a statement at its meeting Tuesday night saying, "We wish to express our sincerest sympathies to the friends, co-workers, relatives, and family of Donald White." A moment of silence followed.
White, an elevator installer, died while working on the ground floor of an elevator shaft on the east side of the stadium. Cal/OSHA says White was standing on a ladder beneath the elevator counter-weight when the weight struck him fatally.
White was the father of four and grandfather of three. His son Jarvis said that in more than four decades on the job, his dad had never been hurt. "You get your little dents and dings, but nothing serious, nothing ever requiring going to the hospital," he told ABC7 News.
After the accident, all 1,000 workers were told to go home. They are expected to return to work Thursday. Cal/OSHA and local law enforcement officials are investigating the death.
The 49ers are scheduled to hold a mini-camp at their headquarters next to the stadium today.
santa clara, san francisco 49ers, construction, cal OSHA, Levi's Stadium, south bay news
- San Jose police officer arrested for sexual assault 33 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday