South Bay News
Construction on hold after death at Levi's Stadium
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- New details are surfacing about the worker who was killed Tuesday in an accident at the San Francisco 49ers' new stadium in Santa Clara.
Workers are being kept away from the site and all construction at Levi's Stadium is shut down Wednesday while state and local officials investigate the tragedy.
The death of 63-year-old Donald White came as a shock to the community. The Santa Clara City Council made a statement at its meeting Tuesday night saying, "We wish to express our sincerest sympathies to the friends, co-workers, relatives, and family of Donald White." A moment of silence followed.
White, an elevator installer, died while working on the ground floor of an elevator shaft on the east side of the stadium. Cal/OSHA says White was standing on a ladder beneath the elevator counter-weight when the weight struck him fatally.
White was the father of four and grandfather of three. His son Jarvis said that in more than four decades on the job, his dad had never been hurt. "You get your little dents and dings, but nothing serious, nothing ever requiring going to the hospital," he told ABC7 News.
After the accident, all 1,000 workers were told to go home. They are expected to return to work Thursday. Cal/OSHA and local law enforcement officials are investigating the death.
The 49ers are scheduled to hold a mini-camp at their headquarters next to the stadium today.
santa clara, san francisco 49ers, construction, cal OSHA, Levi's Stadium, south bay news
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline
- BART board approves contract with AFSCME
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos