South Bay News
Former Defense Secretary gives SCU commencement speech
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- Former CIA director and U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was the commencement speaker Saturday at Santa Clara University where he also received an honorary doctorate degree.
Panetta received his bachelor's degree and law degree from the university in the 1960's. He had inspiring words for the new graduates.
"You are not just our hope for a better future, you are our future and the key to whether we remain a government of by and for all people," Panetta said.
Panetta says he first met his wife at the university. He also taught a political science course there and served on the S.C.U Board of Trustees.
leon panetta, santa clara, santa clara university, south bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday