South Bay News
Bicyclist struck, killed by hit-and-run driver
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- In the South Bay police are looking for the hit and run driver who killed someone. It happened on the Taylor Street overpass at Highway 87, very close to Downtown San Jose.
A small section of bumper may end up being a critical piece of evidence. Investigators say it came off the vehicle that hit and killed a bicyclist. San Jose police are looking for the person who was behind the wheel and are asking witnesses to come forward.
"The people that we're looking for as witnesses might not even know what they saw. They might get home tonight and see this on the news and realize, 'Oh my goodness. You know, I saw something today that turned out to be a fatality,' and they may call us and give us some useful information," said San Jose Police Department Sgt. Jason Dwyer.
The male cyclist was found lying on the ground with his mangled bicycle a few yards away. Police say he was in the eastbound lanes of Taylor Street near Highway 87 when he was struck and killed. This is the 19th traffic-related death in San Jose so far this year, the thirteenth involving a pedestrian or cyclist. People we talked to say they're not surprised to hear about this latest fatality.
"People drive like maniacs around here and this area is horrible. People just scream down this road. They pull off of the freeway. They go to turn. They don't pay attention," said Cindi Staiger, a San Jose resident.
Nearby residents hope police find the person responsible. The driver is wanted for felony hit and run. As small as the piece of bumper may be, investigators say they can use it to determine the vehicle's make, model and year.
san jose, highway 87, bikes, hit and run, south bay news, lilian kim
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Report of armed robber prompts college lockdown 5 min ago
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise 46 min ago
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified 25 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA 53 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire 30 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday