South Bay News
South Bay IT technician charged with stealing equipment
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A South Bay IT technician is being held on a $1 million bond. He is charged with stealing everything from computer passwords to computer equipment it's something police say he's done before.
Andrew Madrid has already spent two years in prison for a similar string of robberies. The District Attorney's Office says he was out of prison on parole just a couple months before he was back at it again.
"He's charged with actually 36 felony counts, that includes 24 commercial burglaries," said Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney Tom Flattery.
Flattery says San Jose IT consultant Andrew Madrid committed a series of burglaries that could land him in jail for more than 29 years. He says Madrid would steal master keys or electronic key cards to get into Silicon Valley businesses.
"We believe that he would target server rooms and take electronic components, but he would also take whatever was available," said Flattery.
He would take things like Gino Blefari's credit card.
"I got a call from a motorcycle supplier of parts saying, 'Can I verify the order?' I said I don't have a motorcycle. So then I realized my credit card was stolen," said Blefari, a Intero Real Estate Services owner.
Blefari works at Intero Real Estate Services in Cupertino. He says Madrid stole his key fob out his car in the parking lot and used it to get into the office on two separate occasions.
"According to the investigator, he actually used his own cell phone right from our office," said Blefari.
"A lot of the stuff that was purchased with the stolen credit card numbers was either recovered on that motorcycle or recovered from the house or storage locker 30 when the officer searched," said Flattery.
In all, Flattery says Madrid stole about $400,000-worth of items, some of which he sold on eBay. The District Attorney's office believes Madrid may have burglarized many other commercial businesses in the area. They want to hear from any potential victims.
cupertino, crime, santa clara county, computers, south bay news, ama daetz
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case