South Bay News
Transients arrested in connection with Santa Cruz brush fire
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (KGO) -- Santa Cruz police have arrested two transients for setting a brush fire near the city's Elks Lodge.
The fire burned about five acres Thursday afternoon.
Mitchell Swienton was taken into custody along with Kelly Hawkins.
Officials say Swienton was spotted running from the scene, still carrying a butane lighter.
According to police, Hawkins was involved in a dispute with the Elks Lodge earlier that day over her vehicle being towed from their parking lot after she abandoned it there.
Both were booked into the Santa Cruz County Jail and been charged with arson.
Hawkins also faces charges of being under the influence of narcotics and a probation violation.
santa cruz, fire, homeless, drugs, south bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos