South Bay News
Teen arrested after crashing into SJ homes, sparking fire
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A teenage driver was arrested Friday night after he crashed into a pair of homes in South San Jose, sparking a fire that destroyed one house and damaged the other.
At about 11:55 p.m., a police officer spotted a four-door sedan driving without headlights on Vistapark Drive, San Jose police Officer Albert Morales said.
The officer attempted to pull the vehicle over, but the driver sped off and made an immediate right on Bluefield Drive, where he lost control of the sedan, Morales said.
The vehicle, which was an unreported stolen car, crashed into two houses on Bluefield drive, rupturing a gas line and starting the fire.
There were four people in one of the houses at the time of the accident and one person in the second home. All heard the crash and got out safely before the fire spread, San Jose fire Capt. Scott Ackemann said.
Fire crews arrived in six minutes but initially had trouble stopping the flow of gas because the line broke at a spot beyond where the shutoff valve is, rendering the valve useless, Ackemann said.
The flames destroyed one home and caused significant damage to the other, he said.
A firefighter suffered a minor leg injury and was taken to a hospital, Ackemann said.
The driver was taken into custody and booked at Juvenile Hall.
Two other passengers were released to their guardians at the scene.
san jose, crash, fire, SJPD, driving, crime, south bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday