South Bay News
Concord man killed in Highway 17 crash
A 21-year-old Concord man was killed in car accident early Monday morning during wet weather conditions on state Highway 17 near Santa Cruz, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The man, whose name has not yet been released, was headed south on the highway near Pasatiempo Drive when his 1998 Honda Civic went off the slick roadway and crashed into a tree, CHP spokesman Brad Sadek said.
The driver, who was alone in the car, died at the scene, Sadek said.
Officers were unable to pinpoint the exact time the crash happened because there were no witnesses, but they later learned that the man had left his home at about 4:30 a.m., Sadek said.
The off-ramp from Highway 17 to Pasatiempo Drive was closed for about two and a half hours during the investigation into the accident, Sadek said.
The slickness of the pavement likely contributed to the crash, Sadek said.
highway 17, santa cruz county, concord, crash, south bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 54 min ago
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos