South Bay News
WWII-era grenades found at home in San Jose
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The Santa Clara County sheriff's bomb squad used explosives to blow up three Chinese-made World War II-era hand grenades outside a home in San Jose Thursday afternoon, a sheriff's spokesman said.
At about 2 p.m., the bomb team blew up the grenades inside a makeshift bunker they dug in the front yard of a home in the city's Cambrian Park neighborhood, sheriff's Deputy Kurtis Stenderup said.
The deputies had decided that the military grenades, made in China before the end of World War II, were too unstable to transport to another location, Stenderup said.
The grenades were found in a box inside a home in the 15000 block of Chelsea Drive in unincorporated San Jose by a caregiver who was cleaning the home after its owner had died recently, Stenderup said.
The caregiver made an emergency call at about 10:30 a.m. and deputies responded, along with the Santa Clara County Fire Department, Stenderup said.
Deputies evacuated residents from surrounding homes and firefighters shut the gas off to the home as a precaution, Stenderup said.
Firefighters and other emergency responders were assigned to a command post nearby, Stenderup said.
People in the neighborhood and the news media stood by and watched the controlled explosion, Stenderup said.
san jose, SJPD, explosion, south bay news
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- 2-alarm fire damages historic restaurant in Larkspur 56 min ago
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder 21 min ago
- Los Angeles subway dig finds prehistoric artifacts 55 min ago
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon 28 min ago
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub 9 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench 22 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos