South Bay News
WWII-era grenades found at home in San Jose
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The Santa Clara County sheriff's bomb squad used explosives to blow up three Chinese-made World War II-era hand grenades outside a home in San Jose Thursday afternoon, a sheriff's spokesman said.
At about 2 p.m., the bomb team blew up the grenades inside a makeshift bunker they dug in the front yard of a home in the city's Cambrian Park neighborhood, sheriff's Deputy Kurtis Stenderup said.
The deputies had decided that the military grenades, made in China before the end of World War II, were too unstable to transport to another location, Stenderup said.
The grenades were found in a box inside a home in the 15000 block of Chelsea Drive in unincorporated San Jose by a caregiver who was cleaning the home after its owner had died recently, Stenderup said.
The caregiver made an emergency call at about 10:30 a.m. and deputies responded, along with the Santa Clara County Fire Department, Stenderup said.
Deputies evacuated residents from surrounding homes and firefighters shut the gas off to the home as a precaution, Stenderup said.
Firefighters and other emergency responders were assigned to a command post nearby, Stenderup said.
People in the neighborhood and the news media stood by and watched the controlled explosion, Stenderup said.
san jose, SJPD, explosion, south bay news
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos