South Bay News
Two dead, two rescued at beach in Santa Cruz County
BONNY DOON BEACH, Calif. (KGO) -- Officials say two women in their 30s died when they fell into the ocean at Bonny Doon Beach Sunday afternoon.
The accident happened at about 3:30 p.m. when a large wave swept the women and two men out to sea along Highway 1 in Santa Cruz County.
The women were rescued by a lifeguard and transported to a local hospital where they were pronounced dead.
After being swept into the water, the men made it to a rock where they were rescued by a Coast Guard helicopter. They did not suffer any major injuries.
Officials say the surf was very rough at the time.
santa cruz county, highway 1, rescue, water, coast guard, south bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Broken window of high-rise shuts down block in SF 6 min ago
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash 43 min ago
- Man arrested after standoff in San Francisco
- Emotional stress may be linked to coronary problems 59 min ago
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year 34 min ago
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Boy struck by car
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday