South Bay News
Arrest made in arsons at Henry Cowell State Park
State law enforcement officials have made an arrest in connection with three small arson fires that occurred at Henry Cowell State Park in Santa Cruz County on Thursday.
The fires were reported along the San Lorenzo River around 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection Division Chief Rich Sampson said Saturday.
The fires were suppressed by Cal Fire and Felton Fire District crews within an hour.
Cal Fire and California State Parks law enforcement officers later arrested Osman Chaudhry at Rincon Road and state Highway 9 in Santa Cruz County on suspicion of arson, Sampson said.
Chaudhry has no current address listed.
Ten separate fires have occurred in the same general area over the past six months, with causes ranging from campfire escapes to arson, Sampson said.
All of them were caused by humans, however, and officials are asking the public to be vigilant and report and suspicious fire immediately by calling 911.
Possible arson fires can be reported to the Cal Fire arson hotline at 1 (800) 468-4408. Investigators appreciate details such as license plates and descriptions of suspicious people, and rewards of up to $10,000 are available for information leading to an arrest and conviction.
santa cruz county, arson, fire, cal fire, homeless, south bay news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families 2 min ago
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to...
2 min ago