South Bay News
Pit bull fatally shot after biting officer in San Jose
SAN JOSE (KGO) -- A pit bull was fatally shot by police in San Jose after an officer was bit during an investigation into mail theft early this morning.
Last summer, people living at a condominium complex on La Barbera Drive in San Jose had their mail stolen. Police said the residents were targeted again just after 1:30 a.m. by some would-be thieves, but were scared off.
"The neighbor started yelling and he heard and ran around the corner to see what was going on and then they called the cops and that's when the cops came," said one neighbor.
Police got descriptions of the vehicle and suspects and ended up at a house on North 3rd Street near the East Empire Street intersection. The owner of the vehicle was on probation, so officers started a search of the home. Police say that's when a large pit bull came from the basement area and began to bite an officer. Officers then shot and killed the dog.
"They came on my property and he was protecting my house and they shot him," said the dog's owner.
The officer was taken to the hospital with a bite wound to the left leg. The pit bull died at the scene. Neighbors say the dog has bit people before. The owner said there is a posted sign that warned officers of the dog.
Police say they arrested a 37-year-old man and 24-year-old woman for mail theft.
SJPD, crime, shooting, san jose, south bay news, matt keller
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Richmond council votes for foreclosure prevention plan 25 min ago
- Food bank hands out hundreds of hams to families
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 US films to be preserved 20 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting 59 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday