South Bay News
Motorcyclist dies in SJ crash with suspected drunk driver
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A motorcyclist was killed in a crash involving a suspected drunk driver in San Jose on Friday night, police said Saturday morning.
Police said dispatchers received reports of a collision involving a motorcycle and several cars in the 1400 block of White Road around 9:45 p.m.
Officers arrived on the scene to find a motorcyclist down on the pavement and several damaged vehicles.
The motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene a short time before 10 p.m., police said.
Based on a preliminary investigation, police determined that a Lexus was heading north on White Road when it crossed into the roadway's southbound lane and struck the motorcyclist, according to police.
Police said officers determined that alcohol was a factor in the crash.
The driver of the Lexus, a 23-year-old man, was taken to a hospital and treated for what were not believed to be life-threatening injuries.
No additional injuries were reported.
The man, whose name has not been released, was arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter, drunk driving and hit and run and taken to Santa Clara County Jail.
Police said the crash was San Jose's 22nd fatal collision this year.
san jose, south bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...