South Bay News
SJPD arrest robbery suspect after manhunt
SAN JOSE -- After scouring an East San Jose neighborhood for hours this morning, police have arrested a suspect in an attempted robbery and shooting at a nearby check-cashing business.
The suspect was taken into custody at 10:35 a.m. in the 2000 block of Cinderella Lane, San Jose police spokesman Officer Albert Morales said.
Police began searching the neighborhood after receiving word at 7:48 a.m. of a robbery attempt in which shots were fired at the California Check Cashing store at 2151 Story Road.
Morales said an alarm was tripped during the robbery, and when officers arrived they saw a man fleeing and jumping fences.
Police swarmed the neighborhood, set up a perimeter, shut down Story Road and began an intensive search of the area.
Residents were told to stay indoors during the search.
Morales said the suspect was found behind a home. He resisted arrest and was injured while being taken into custody, Morales said.
He has been taken to a hospital for treatment of his injuries, which are not considered life-threatening, Morales said.
An employee at the check-cashing business told police shots were fired during the robbery, and Morales said a gun was recovered near where the arrest occurred.
"We're happy to say the gun is no longer outstanding," Morales said.
Morales said it appears the suspect fired shots inside the business during the robbery. No one was injured by the gunfire.
The check-cashing store remained closed late this morning.
Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority redirected its Route 25 buses while Story Road was closed. The road reopened shortly after 11 a.m.
san jose, crime, SJPD, south bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday