South Bay News
San Jose police investigating downtown fatal shooting
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Police in San Jose are investigating a shooting in the city's downtown area early Saturday morning that left a woman dead.
Officers responded to a report that a person was shot in the area of South Second and East San Salvador streets in downtown at about 1:20 a.m., Sgt. Jason Dwyer said.
The victim, believed to be a 19-year-old woman, was transported to Regional Medical Center where she was pronounced dead, Dwyer said.
An investigation revealed that the victim and a 21-year-old man were driving in the area of South Third and East San Salvador streets when the victim was shot by someone outside the car, the sergeant said.
The driver, who was not hit, stopped the car and called 911, Dwyer said.
Dwyer said that no suspects have yet been identified or arrested. It is unclear why the shooting took place and whether it was gang-related, he said.
No one else was injured in the shooting.
Police are continuing to investigate the incident.
The homicide marks the city's 30th of the year.
crime, shooting, san jose, south bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support 20 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement 36 min ago
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Driver in fatal Twin Peaks DUI hit-and-run sentenced
- Target shopper files suit over security breach 30 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set 29 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on...
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos