South Bay News
San Jose cops searching for nursing student's killer
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose police are continuing their search for the person who killed a promising young nursing student this past weekend. Kimberly Estrada Chico, 19, was the victim of a drive-by shooting. San Jose's police chief and many others agree, this killing was truly senseless.
"I will truly miss her, very much so," Kathleen Dorsey told ABC7 News Wednesday. She is an instructor at the College of Nursing in Milpitas. Kimberly was one of her students. The 19-year-old was hit by a stray bullet early Saturday morning while riding in a car through San Jose's Entertainment District.
Acting Police Chief Larry Esquivel says this murder has struck a chord with him. "Any crime like that is unacceptable, but that one specifically because it appears she was an unintended victim and she was an aspiring nurse and had aspirations for that," he said.
Chico had just earned her assistant nursing certificate last month and was said to be preparing for another year of classes at San Jose State. "It was tragic. I was just in denial. And even right now, I feel that way. Because of the fact that, not too long seeing her .And it just brought back memories. How could someone's life be gone like that?" Dorsey said.
Chico was shot in the area known as SOFA, South of First, a bar and nightclub district. Bo Town restaurant is right across the street from the crime scene and the manager says lately, his customers have told him they don't feel safe at night.
"Some of them, yeah. They said they don't want to come downtown. Sometimes, It's unsafe. Hopefully, I hope that more security around here, more police coming," he said.
Chief Esquivel says solving this murder, the city's 30th homicide, is a priority.
crime, shooting, san jose, south bay news, carolyn tyler
- US Navy sends destroyer to help in plane search 35 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- SF police search for suspect after officer shot 1 min ago
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US 46 min ago
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case