South Bay News
SJ police announce arrest in shooting of nursing student
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- There was a break in the case of a San Jose nursing student shot to death over the weekend. On Thursday, police arrested the man they believe pulled the trigger. This comes on the same day family and friends gathered for Kimberly Chico's funeral.
Chico was a passenger in a car on San Salvador when she was shot and killed. Police arrested a man they say was standing on the street corner when he shot her.
Homicide detectives and investigators from the district attorney's office took another, closer look at the area where Kimberly Chico was murdered. This comes less than 24 hours after they arrested Johnny Lozano for the 19-year-old San Jose State student's murder.
An officer, on patrol on Senter Road on Wednesday, noticed a group of men in front of a beacon gas station. They resembled some of the people described running away from the shooting scene Saturday night.
"Took a second look at them, thought, 'OK, maybe I'll stop and have a talk with them, perhaps they are involved somehow, it's a long shot, but I'll see if it pans out.' He stopped, contacted them and ultimately located a loaded fire arm on one of them," said Sgt. Jason Dwyer SJPD.
Lozano was arrested on the spot. Police think Lozano was firing at someone or something that night and that Chico was simply caught in the cross fire.
"Somebody killed this person and needs to be accountable for it. I'm glad they found somebody," said Dennis Skaggs, a witness.
Those who live near the shooting scene still can't believe what happened. Violence isn't a part of the downtown they know. A man, who did not want to be identified, said he heard the shots that night and saw some men running away.
"If it's a random guy shooting at random things, it's scary," he said.
There are bullet holes in the building housing the China Chen restaurant. They are reminders of that night and of what many don't want their neighborhood to become.
crime, shooting, san jose, SJPD, SJSU, drive by shooting, south bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- Obama hams it up for health care on Funny or Die
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday