South Bay News
Witness speaks after fatal restaurant shooting in San Jose
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A Sunnyvale engineer died Monday night after someone opened fire at a restaurant in a South Bay strip mall. Two other men were injured in the shooting.
"Literally it's just a shock to me. And I just couldn't get over it because I, previously, I was his manager. I hired him to my group. And, you know, he great guy, we work very hard. You know, hard worker all around," said the victim's friend Tu.
Tu did not want us to use his last name but he says he was a friend and co-worker of the man who was shot and killed at the Hoang Hon Restaurant & Bar.
It happened about 10 p.m. and a dozen people were inside when shots were fired.
"From what we can tell, early in the investigation, is they were just patrons inside the restaurant and somebody shot inside the business from outside," said San Jose Police Spokesperson Sgt. Heather Randol.
There were multiple shots fired, perhaps as many as nine rounds, hitting three people.
Shawn Montarbo says his friend's girlfriend works the restaurant as a waitress/dancer.
"It's wild. Definitely not just your regular nightclub. Girls dance pretty crazy and wild in there," he said.
Montarbo said the club doesn't allow just anyone. People have to buy a bottle and make reservations. All of that, he says is strictly enforced.
"They're two security guards at night. They're armed, and yeah and then they wear the bullet proof vests," said Montarbo.
The club has karaoke, food, liquor and private rooms.
One of the other two shooting victims was released from the hospital. The other one is still there. The hospital says his wounds are not life threatening.
No one has been arrested for shooting and police do not believe it was gang related.
This is the 31st homicide of the year in San Jose.
shooting, san jose, crime, SJPD, guns, south bay news, vic lee
- Protesters vacate CCSF building, head to city hall
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for work 48 min ago
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit 7 min ago
- Scrabble asks fans to choose new word for dictionary 18 min ago
- Quiznos files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths 41 min ago
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Uber insurance policy; BottleRock lineup
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 53 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
49 min ago
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for...
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos