South Bay News
Witness speaks after fatal restaurant shooting in San Jose
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A Sunnyvale engineer died Monday night after someone opened fire at a restaurant in a South Bay strip mall. Two other men were injured in the shooting.
"Literally it's just a shock to me. And I just couldn't get over it because I, previously, I was his manager. I hired him to my group. And, you know, he great guy, we work very hard. You know, hard worker all around," said the victim's friend Tu.
Tu did not want us to use his last name but he says he was a friend and co-worker of the man who was shot and killed at the Hoang Hon Restaurant & Bar.
It happened about 10 p.m. and a dozen people were inside when shots were fired.
"From what we can tell, early in the investigation, is they were just patrons inside the restaurant and somebody shot inside the business from outside," said San Jose Police Spokesperson Sgt. Heather Randol.
There were multiple shots fired, perhaps as many as nine rounds, hitting three people.
Shawn Montarbo says his friend's girlfriend works the restaurant as a waitress/dancer.
"It's wild. Definitely not just your regular nightclub. Girls dance pretty crazy and wild in there," he said.
Montarbo said the club doesn't allow just anyone. People have to buy a bottle and make reservations. All of that, he says is strictly enforced.
"They're two security guards at night. They're armed, and yeah and then they wear the bullet proof vests," said Montarbo.
The club has karaoke, food, liquor and private rooms.
One of the other two shooting victims was released from the hospital. The other one is still there. The hospital says his wounds are not life threatening.
No one has been arrested for shooting and police do not believe it was gang related.
This is the 31st homicide of the year in San Jose.
shooting, san jose, crime, SJPD, guns, south bay news, vic lee
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday