South Bay News
Woman attacked near Santa Clara University
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman was walking along Franklin Street when she was thrown to the ground and attacked. This happened just a few feet from campus, so Santa Clara University quickly issued an alert.
Those at The Hut on Franklin Street want their customers to be on the lookout for a man who sexually assaulted a woman just after midnight on Wednesday, less than a block away from the bar.
She was walking alone when a man grabbed her from behind, pushed her into the bushes, and attacked her.
"Very brazen, I think she was a very brave young female that fought off her attacker, scared him. He was probably not expecting that," said Santa Clara Police Lt. Kurt Clarke.
The victim got away and called for help. Just 15 minutes later, Santa Clara University sent out an alert via email and voicemail that said, "An attempted sexual assault occurred at Franklin and Sherman Streets."
The university called it an attempted assault, while police do not. Either way, students are worried.
"I actually got a call from my mom that morning saying, 'Are you OK? Are you safe?' because we live three blocks from here," said Paula Gonzalez, a Santa Clara University student.
"It's definitely a little unnerving that it happened near campus," said Karina Soto, a student.
Longtime Santa Clara resident Angie Sanchez has noticed more transients in her neighborhood.
"I don't know who this man is. It's a shame," said Sanchez.
She hopes women will be even more careful.
"They're out and about walking around, girls jogging by themselves, just college behavior and I just think they take for granted safety of the neighborhood," said Sanchez.
Police won't confirm if the victim was connected to the university.
santa clara university, santa clara, sex crimes, crime, south bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted LA kids
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos