South Bay News
Suspect dies in Sunnyvale officer-involved shooting
SUNNYVALE, Calif. -- A man who was wounded in an officer-involved shooting Wednesday outside a restaurant in Sunnyvale during an undercover drug investigation has died of his injuries, a police captain said.
The Santa Clara Police Department and the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office were working the covert drug probe when the shooting took place around 3 p.m., according to Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety Capt. Dave Pitts.
The sheriff's office reported on Twitter that one of its deputies was involved in the shooting and that Sunnyvale police are handling the investigation.
The man, whose name has not yet been released, was transported to a hospital and was later pronounced dead.
The shots were directed at the suspect inside the parking lot of Hobee's restaurant at 800 W. Ahwanee Ave., near Mathilda Avenue and U.S. Highway 101, Pitts said.
Sunnyvale police officers knew about the operation in advance and were in the area to provide assistance, Pitts said.
No one else was injured in the shooting and the investigation into it is in the early stages, Pitts said.
A clerk at a Motel 6 at 806 W. Ahwanee Ave. said he heard about 15 gunshots and then a saw a wounded person being transported from a pickup truck.
The clerk, John Carroll, 69, said he heard shots ring out at about 2:30 p.m. outside the Hobee's restaurant. He said he then saw police cordon off the scene.
"They pretty much shut down the area pretty quickly," Carroll said.
The pickup had bullet holes in the windshield and on both the driver's and passenger's sides, Carroll said.
"As many shots that were fired, it's hard to believe" that the suspect survived, Carroll said.
Two lanes of North Mathilda Avenue were blocked during the preliminary investigation, according to police.
Investigators worked the fatal shooting in the Hobee's parking lot for close to 8 hours as they closely examined the white pickup truck with a shattered driver's side window.
ABC7 News contributed to this report.
shooting, drugs, sunnyvale, south bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police 14 min ago
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break 3 min ago
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
16 min ago
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water...
3 min ago